incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 21:59:05 GMT
Dave Fisher wrote:
> Has anyone inspected the MIME Type returned? If it is not a proper
> one for OXT then it is possible that IE8 is doing detection of the
> type.

I had different results than Dave's, and I concluded I see different
MIME types depending on the mirror I get, so this depends on how each
individual mirror used by SourceForge is configured.

Example with repeated attempts (strings are in Italian but it's easy to
understand that the first and last one are right, the other mirrors are
not):

$ wget http://extensions.openoffice.org/e-files/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
Posizione:
http://ignum.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
[segue]
Lunghezza: 4899523 (4,7M) [application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension]

$ wget http://extensions.openoffice.org/e-files/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
Posizione:
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
[segue]
Lunghezza: 4899523 (4,7M) [application/octet-stream]

http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt

http://dfn.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt

http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
[segue]
Lunghezza: 4899523 (4,7M) [application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension]

MIME types are defined at the web server level, so the configuration for
each mirror is probably responsible for this difference. Then most
browsers will get it right nevertheless, but some might be tricked by
receiving the generic "octet-stream" type and interpreting it as a valid
ZIP file (which is correct, but not the best thing to do of course)
before checking if it is a valid OXT file as well.

A simple test could be to ask people who report problems if they get
different behaviors with
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
(which serves OXT as octet/stream) and
http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/aoo-extensions/874/29/oracle-pdfimport.oxt
(which serves OXT as application/vnd.openofficeorg.extension).

Regards,
   Andrea.