incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposed new directory structure for future releases
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:37:36 GMT

On 08/23/2012 01:14 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/23/2012 10:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> Warning: Layman comment following.
>>>
>>> Even if en-US is the base for all the other builds, I see no need to
>>> completely separate it from the rest. IMO, a structure like
>>>
>>> /stable/VERSION/<lang abbreviation>/etcetera
>>>
>>> were<lang abbreviation>  includes en-US at the same level of all the
>>> other localizations would be perfectly clear to anyone.
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> This weird split complicates scripting operations on the tree.
>>
>> We could probably also eliminate the base of "/stable".  We don't
>> release unstable code, do we?

correct, and I think the schema that RGB currently proposes without the
"/stable" is what Juergen basically proposed if memory serves.
(I'm too lazy to go look for it. :/ )

> I don't know if it's wanted by us or allowed by ASF:
>
> We could release Beta versions or RCs in a different dir than stable/.
>
> Then it would make sense to keep it. Otherwise you are right.

Right now, since we are not releasing "betas" and I don't see this
happening in the future given the ASF definition of "release", we have
no need for a "/stable" vs anything else.

>> At a level higher we have another split, between source and binaries,
>> where binaries are in "/files" and source is in VERSION.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> /ooo/3.4.1/source here
>> /ooo/files/stable/de/3.4.1/binaries here
>>
>> This might  be harmonized as:
>>
>> /ooo/VERSION/src
>> /ooo/VERSION/bin/LANG/
>> /ooo/VERSION/bin/SDK

yes. Hopefully Juergen will weigh in soonish.