incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: proposed new directory structure for future releases
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 20:14:53 GMT
Am 08/23/2012 10:02 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 3:37 PM, RGB ES<rgb.mldc@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> 2012/8/23 Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>:
>>> Way back in late April, Juergen proposed a new directory structure for
>>> release packs than what we have now which is essentially:
>>>
>>> /stable/VERSION/<en-US items>
>>> /localized/<lang abbreviation>/VERSION/<lang items>
>>>
>>> there are some other areas in SF as well and I don't know if they're still
>>> being used
>>>
>>> Could we restart the discussion, or just again send the proposed structure,
>>> on what the "ideal" structure would look like so we could get to work on
>>> modifying the download scripts? Thanks.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> MzK
>>>
>>> "As a child my family's menu consisted of two choices:
>>>      take it or leave it. "
>>>                                     -- Buddy Hackett
>>
>> Warning: Layman comment following.
>>
>> Even if en-US is the base for all the other builds, I see no need to
>> completely separate it from the rest. IMO, a structure like
>>
>> /stable/VERSION/<lang abbreviation>/etcetera
>>
>> were<lang abbreviation>  includes en-US at the same level of all the
>> other localizations would be perfectly clear to anyone.
>>

> +1
>
> This weird split complicates scripting operations on the tree.
>
> We could probably also eliminate the base of "/stable".  We don't
> release unstable code, do we?

I don't know if it's wanted by us or allowed by ASF:

We could release Beta versions or RCs in a different dir than stable/.

Then it would make sense to keep it. Otherwise you are right.

> At a level higher we have another split, between source and binaries,
> where binaries are in "/files" and source is in VERSION.
>
> So:
>
> /ooo/3.4.1/source here
> /ooo/files/stable/de/3.4.1/binaries here
>
> This might  be harmonized as:
>
> /ooo/VERSION/src
> /ooo/VERSION/bin/LANG/
> /ooo/VERSION/bin/SDK

Or just

/ooo/VERSION/

to get the most flat structure.

Maybe

/ooo/VERSION/src/
/ooo/VERSION/bin/

if it's needed to separate source and binary files.

Marcus