incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <>
Subject Re: Is this a UNO API bug?
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2012 05:28:04 GMT

On 08/21/2012 09:08 PM, dongjun zong wrote:
> Andrew,
>   I think you are right, I add a sleep time after insert page number
> field before getText, the page number can get correct.
> But I think it's a bug for page number update issue.

Have you tried forcing an update? If so, then you won't need to wait.

I expect that an update may be a time consuming operation (say if you
insert at page number 400, and it must refresh from the start). I once
saw a problem where a document would open, but the initial page numbers
were wrong. It took a while for the page numbers to be updated after the
document loaded. The final solution was to issue a full refresh, which
took time, but made it happen. So, the trade off was to allow the user
to immediately see and edit the document rather than forcing them to
wait for the refresh to occur on load. With a large document, this can
take time.

My guess is that it takes significantly more time to create and insert a
field than to trigger the update process. When the API is used to
insert, we have no context on the operation so it seems reasonable to
not make an immediate update before return. If the update process takes
1000 times longer to occur (probably depends on document size and other
factors, depending on what is updated), then if I want to insert 100
fields, what might have taken a fraction of a second may now take minutes.

Commands triggered from the GUI can make the reasonable assumption that
the user is not likely to perform that task a 100 times, and that a user
is sitting right there and probably desires an immediate response to the
command, so then the triggered code (a dispatch) includes the update
task as part of the process.

If you think that not updating the single field immediately is a bug,
you should try inserting a Table Of Contents (TOC).

So, although you are certain that it is a bug, and you may be right, I
might call it a design decision that tends to make the typical user
experience more performant; which is the usual case..... but this is
mostly speculation on my part.

Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document: