incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 19:42:49 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:
> We can leave the porting page "as is" with winPenPack on it, and just
> see what happens. But I guarantee that based on comments on
> comments/questions we've already had over the past year, we will
> basically be obliged to list every other distributor that also feels
> they have legitimate distribution.
> And, listing winPenPack contradicts what we have on the "distribution"
> page:  http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

No, there's a major difference between a "distribution" (a terminology
existing at Apache but not in the previous OpenOffice.org project) and a
"distributor" (which is terminology used in the old OpenOffice.org
project and is what http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/ refers to,
or used to refer to).

A "distribution" is a piece a software derived from OpenOffice. The
winPenPack team (and PortableApps too, if/when they decide to provide
it) takes the original binaries as downloaded from the OpenOffice
website, performs a "fake installation", changes a few configuration
settings and makes the result available on SourceForge as a
"portable/live" variant of OpenOffice. Others might start from source,
add extensions and templates (and even functionality) and obtain
something called "Xyz, based on OpenOffice.org".

A "distributor", for the old project, was someone delivering unmodified
copies of the OpenOffice.org source and binaries on CD-ROM (and/or
selling download links, and this was considered borderline behavior). A
portable version would have never been included in
http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/ since that page/project was only
related to different ways (rather than downloading from the official
site) to obtain the unmodified OpenOffice.org.

Regards,
   Andrea.