incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 23:24:17 GMT
Kay Schenk wrote:
> So, I think the second column on the porting page should be removed
> entirely. I feel winPenPack is a distribution and not a port, and
> therefore this would go as well. (I need to look again to see how/why
> this was even suggested). I think we would take on an incredible amount
> of work if we decided to start listing distribution entities

There are surely many more (say, 100x) people asking for a "portable"
version for Windows (and we have WinPenPack already available, and I
hope PortableApps will join soon) than people asking for a BSD, Solaris
or OS/2 port. So I feel that removing portable versions would be a
disservice to users.

Actually I don't know how many other distributions are there, but the
only requests I've seen so far on mailing lists and forums are for
portable versions and, to a smaller extent, for versions compatible with
older Linux glibc versions (and Ariel provided those too, on his
personal web space, and I believe they should be listed on the same page
too).

Regards,
   Andrea.