incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2012 21:36:23 GMT

On 08/20/2012 01:05 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 08/20/2012 06:19 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

>>> Indeed it's more a distribution, but as discussed the porting page is
>>> already there and has more visibility, so I agree to put both
>>> distributions and ports there.
>>>
>>> Maybe we could adapt the title and descriptions to say that the page
>>> lists all third-party packages, including ports and distributions such
>>> as portable versions.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>
>> OK, I re-read through this thread just now. I guess it was agreed (or
>> not refuted at any rate) that because the "porting" page was a known
>> entity and the non_ASF page was not (not even linked anywhere) to put
>> winPenPack on porting.
>
> Thats what I wrote a few days ago and nobody objected. ;-) So, I've
> added it to the webpage.

OK, well when I looked at the thread it seemed as if Rob ahd made this
comment -- i.e. the known vs the unknown and then, ta da, there is
winPenPack.

>> Yes, we should change the title. Other statements we have in the
>> Distribution FAQ will need to be changed as well because of this.
>> We should supply additional information on what the criteria is for
>> being listed on the newly designed "porting" page.
>
> We could transfer the text from the non-ASF page and adapt it slightly
> to fit both puposes:
>
> a) list all binary release work that is done outside the ASF.
> b) list all binary release work on platforms others that the, hm, lets
> say mainstream.
>
> Marcus

I think we discussed at length some time ago (months) when changes were
made to : http://www.openoffice.org/distribution/

that we were not going to attempt to keep tract or reference any
distributions *at all* on the site.

So, I think the second column on the porting page should be removed
entirely. I feel winPenPack is a distribution and not a port, and
therefore this would go as well. (I need to look again to see how/why
this was even suggested). I think we would take on an incredible amount
of work if we decided to start listing distribution entities, regardless
of our good intentions. This is why we took off the list to begin with,
so why this one entry now?

The porting thing is different. These ARE ports to OSes that we do not
currently offer "officially" AND they are built by trusted community
members.

As for the non_ASF page, I will be happy to remove it entirely. It was
the start of something that didn't go anywhere and for which we had a
change of heart/direction.

MzK

"Never express yourself more clearly than you are able to think."
                                    -- Niels Bohr