incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] AOO Ready to Graduate
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2012 06:43:22 GMT
On 17/08/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> We've had several prods from our mentors suggesting that we are ready
> to graduate.

I agree it would be good to do so, since it will automatically reduce
complex and unclear terminology ("incubator", "podling") that has been
misused outside the project and it will make governance easier.

> I'd recommend everyone take a look at this timeline [2] for what the
> graduation process looks like.  You can see it is three steps:
> 1) Optional Community vote [3]
> 2) Preparation of a Charter and Resolution [4]
> 3) Vote by the IPMC to recommend the Charter/Resolution to the ASF Board.
> 4) Approval by the ASF Board.

If the Charter needs to contain complex statements about scope and
mission of the project, it will take some time (but this is not the
case, if I understand the the examples correctly).

It also seems, from the links, that the project will need to elect a
chair, and this would be quite time-consuming too.

So I wouldn't be sure that we can have everything ready by the September
Board meeting.

> I'd like to start the first step, with the optional, but highly
> recommended, community vote, stating our belief that we are ready to
> graduate.

I agree. If we have consensus that we are ready to graduate, let's start
with a formal vote about it, and then proceed step by step with the process.

Regards,
   Andrea.