incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: build guide on download page?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:31:04 GMT

On 08/17/2012 03:09 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> [...]
>>> page
>>>
>>> or 2) link to them from the Building_Guide_AOO page
>>
>> Link to them - the one's used on the builds include some choices that
>> the various builders have made which don't exactly match the
>> instructions on the various guides. For example, J├╝rgen has put
>> downloaded prerequisites.
>
> Building_Guide_AOO already contains the more important switches (eg
> --enable-category-b, --enable-bundled-dictionaries) and explains why
> these are not on by default.
> I restricted the choice to a minimum to not confuse the reader.
>

>> These are good examples.
>>

>>> Also, I will change the link on the source page in the project site
>>> to go to Building_Guide_AOO instead of the one that is there now.
>>>
>>> Rob placed a message on the old Building Guide page, but perhaps it
>>> will be overlooked.
>>
>> There are four pages in the wiki linked to from the README.
>>
>>      Windows:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
>>
>>      Linux:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Linux
>>
>>      Mac OS X:
>>          http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions
>>      Solaris:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Solaris
>>

>> If these are no longer current then each should have a prominent link
>> to the correct page:
>>
>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO.
>
> I made this change on trunk.
>

>> The README is at
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/README
>>
>> There are also build instructions in there, so that needs some cleanup.
>>

>>> Long story short, why don't we plan on putting a link to
>>> http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
>>>
>>> at the top of source section in other.html and deal with build flags
>>> separately...
>>
>> Yes, agreed. But link to the development builds from the
>> Building_Guide_AOO.
>>
>> A reference to all of the build flags would help too.
>
> Yes, we need that.
>

> My idea for Building_Guide_AOO was to have one page that explains the
> outline of how to build AOO, not to contain every single detail as that
> would just obscure the big picture.  I also tried to avoid repeating the
> basics on many platform specific pages so that the building guide
> remains maintainable.  See how the pages linked above have diverged and
> are out-of-date.
>
> But I am beginning to see the benefit of having simpler recipes for the
> major platforms.  Less explaining, just step by step descriptions that
> get you from downloading/checking out the source code to a running
> office.  I will start this for Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) and Mac (if I get it
> to run in a virtual machine) but any help is welcome.

yes, that would be good.

OK, I just made several changes which I hope will help with this.

* changed the general Build Guide page on the wiki (we had a link to the
AOO Build guide but I made it more prominent and arranged the order a bit)
* fixed links on the Source link in the project web site
* added a link to the revised build guide page on the Developer Snapshot
page under the "source" areas

yes, I also think the platform specific areas on the general build page
on the wiki should be changed (or not used) if they're not up to date.

Also, I think it would be VERY helpful to explain some aspects -- system
integration vs not, build with Mozilla or not, etc. Maybe this is
already explained  somewhere but I don't know where.

ok, back later