incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:51:15 GMT

pointing at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions for Mac Builds?

this doesn't seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?

and that I have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.

on the WIki page. I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.

me on the Wiki based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions

>>> Binary artifacts are fine, they are just considered to be "unofficial convenience
artifacts".

>>> The ASF's mission is software for the public good. That means that users must
be able to see the source and be able to build it for themselves. They must be able to inspect
the source to see that it is unhindered.

>>> So, the IP must be clear and transparently so. This is what an IPMC and ASF Member
must measure their vote on.

>>> Sorry, I'm a bit cranky right now. My cpan disappeared while trying to assure
that I had the now required LWP::UserAgent. No one tested the new download_external_dependencies.pl
properly.

>> 1. LWP::UserAgent has been a prerequisite for years.  But I think I remember that
it was temporarily removed from one of the older platform specific build instruction pages.

>> 2. Can you be more specific regarding your problems with download_external_dependencies.pl
so that I can fix it?  It exists under this name for more than two months and since it is
used in every setup of a build I would say that it is fairly well tested.  But that does not
mean that it is error free.

>> 3. Please have a look at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO.
 Maybe that page is more helpful.  If not, please help me to improve it.

> That page *IS* much better!
>
> To handle my case it would be good to suggest that a user upgrade their Perl dependencies.
That path != install.

What did you do exactly?  Something like "install CPAN; reload cpan" ?

> As long as the READMEs links get a user to eventually get to this MWiki page that would
be great!

I have changed the README (on trunk) to point to the new building guide
and cleaned it up a bit.

I will try to make a clean install on Mac.  The problem is to lay hands
on a pristine Mac environment.  I recently read that from MacOSX Lion on
it is legal to run a copy of it in a virtual environment on (as long as
that runs on Apple hardware).  So I will set up a Mountain Lion VM and
write down what has to be done to build AOO.

-Andre