incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: build guide on download page?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 20:14:44 GMT
Am 08/16/2012 07:15 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Kay Schenk<kay.schenk@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I think it might be a good idea to include a link to build information on
>> the download page.
>>

> We do have a link on the main download page, over on the right side
> panel, under "Additional Information".
>
> But it looks like it is pointing to the old OpenOffice.org version,
> not the newer wiki page for AOO.

I could change it, we just need to decide which webpage to link to.

I've seen in another thread that Dave had some problems to build AOO. It
seems we have (at least) 2 webpages that describe how to build on your
own. So ...

>> We could probably put this right under the heading for the source section...
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html#tested-sdk
>>

> Yes, the link probably makes more sense there.
>
>> Given the recent discussion on the [VOTE] thread for 3.4.1, it would be
>> great if we could get the build instructions better integrated in *one*
>> place and we can add this link to the source download section.
>>
>> Comments? Volunteers?
>>

> My personal opinion -- the download page is far too "busy" and
> complex.   We have 45 different links on that page although we know

Ahm, you must not count the links in the nav bar, header, footer, etc.
;-). These would be also on a new page regardless how empty it is.

I'm counting 32 links on the main body of ".../download/index.html"  and
don't think that it's too much.

> most visitors are looking to download AOO in the latest version
> available for their language.  There is a lot of visual clutter.

Hm, I don't see a big problem with ".../download/index.html". IMHO it
has a clear structure. The colors support the most user to find the
right binaries or locations. The links on the right nav bar provide
additional links for the advanced users.

Of course it could always be improved but, again, I don't see any big
problems here.

> Compare to the Firefox download site, for example.
>
> I'm in favor of simplifying the download page and moving less-used
> information off to other supporting pages.  This is a good thing to
> look at after the release, I think.  We can even do A/B testing of the
> new page against the old one to see how they compare in terms of user
> behavior, e.g., how many seconds does it take for the user to find
> what they want.

I'm open for new things. However, we should make sure not to split into
too many little parts. Otherwise we have for every little information a
separate webpage which is not nice - also not nice to maintain.

Marcus