incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Registration and Update Services - What Will Be The Load?
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:32:21 GMT
Hi,

On 15.08.2012 16:00, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Apologies to the Apache Infra team, the load caused by implementing
> INFRA-5112 caused trouble.
>
> The changes to update*.services.openoffice.org to point to www.openoffice.org
> was reverted.
>
> This was due to added load on the Apache Infrastructure.
>
> Before we can proceed with INFRA-5112 and INFRA-5144 we absolutely must have
> some estimates about the volume of requests that will be received.

When I saw the problems on www.openoffice.org in the morning I already suggested
that this might be related to the established redirects. I reported my
assumption at #asfinfra in the morning.
If I remembering it correct, Kay S. and Joe S. already observed something like
this earlier this year.

Unfortunately, I can not provide any volume.
In the past more than 100 million download of OpenOffice.org package had been
counted by the OpenOffice.org community. I do not know how much OOo installation
are really active and how the distribution between the different versions are.

What I know is the following:
(1) update38.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.4 Beta and released AOO
3.4 - a redirect for it has been established at 2012-05-21 and the traffic can
be handled.
(2) update36.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.3 - a redirect for it has
been established at 2012-06-04 and the traffic can be handled.
(3) update35|34.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.2.1 and OOo 3.2 -
redirects for then have been established at 2012-07-12 and the traffic can be
handled.
(4) update33.services.openoffice.org is _not_ used - a redirect is _not_
necessary. Does occur any traffic on this URL?
(5) update32.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.1.1 and OOo 3.1 - a
redirect has been requested and was established today. Due to the server load it
has been reverted. Is the traffic data available?
(6) update31.services.openoffice.org is _not_ used - a redirect is _not_
necessary. Does occur any traffic on this URL?
(7) update30.services.openoffice.org is used by OOo 3.0.1 and OOo 3.0. Does
occur any traffic on this URL?
(8) update.services.openoffice.org seems to be used by OOo 2.x version (at least
my test installation of OOo 2.2 uses it). Is the traffic data available? When I
remember it correct Kay S. and Joe S. observed the above mentioned problems
earlier this year with this URL.

Is it possible that somebody from the Apache Infrastructure can provide a view
on which URL the traffic load was soo high that the servers got in trouble?

Best regards, Oliver.