incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From tj ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 19:27:51 GMT
On 8/10/2012 14:29, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:05 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 3:18 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
>>> (answering below so that Paolo gets all context; he is not subscribed so CC
>>> him if relevant)

>>> Paolo Mantovani, an expert of OpenOffice macros and an OpenOffice.org
>>> Conference speaker, published his "Macro and Rock&Roll" series back in 2008.
>>> See for example
>>> http://ooomacros.blogspot.it/2008/12/macro-e-rock-3_14.html
>>> and the embedded AC/DC video there. It looks like he might be the man you
>>> are looking for.
>>>

>> That's totally insane!  Great work.
>>
>> It makes me think that there could be some value in thinking "outside
>> of the box" and rethinking multimedia in the context of a spreadsheet.
>>
>> For example, today the only data type a cell can contain is a number
>> and a string.  Boolean and date as well, but they are just special
>> kinds of numbers.
>>
>> What if we had an intrinsic data type for an image?  Or a sound clip?
>> And functions that could operate on these data types.
>>
>> For example, if an image is added to a cell (via edit menu, or paste
>> or drag & drop) then it can operate like a normal data type for many
>> operations.
>>
>> So if there is an image in cell A1 and another in B1, then the formula
>> =(A1+B1)/2 would yield an image that average the two.  Diffing images,
>> scaling them, etc., have natural interpretations.
>>
>> You could even have new spreadsheet functions that operate directly on
>> image data, e.g., sharpen, blur, FFT, deconvolution, etc.
>>
>> You could imagine the same with a data type for audio.
>
> Why limit this to images and audio? Have spreadsheets store object references. The objects
can be xml constructs. Objects implement some set of operators and common functions while
the stubs for others automatically return an error.

> You could return custom objects from special functions and it would be cool if those
were drawing objects attached to the cell or range.

> =MyHighQualityLogChart(A1,B1,C1:1000,D1:1000)
>
> If the object type is not available on the machine then the cell is automatically protected.
This becomes a great way to send results to clients.

>> So this gets more similar to a Mathematica type experience, where you
>> can have calculations that mix standard numerical operations, but also
>> interact with multimedia, both as a source and a destination for data.
>> For example, you can take a range of data, calculated based on other
>> formula, and "render" it as a sound or an image.
>>
>> It is an opportunity.  Spreadsheets have not really enhance their
>> basic computational model since Visicalc.
>
> Very intriguing. People love to use spreadsheets to define business processes and trade
analytic models.

> Regards,
> Dave
>

>> -Rob
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>   Andrea.

Good idea: there are lots of good uses for pictures (and other objects)
in spreadsheets. But the actual picture manipulations might be better
put into Draw (or another module — "Pix"? "Snappy"?), where they would
be of use for pictures in all the other documents (spreadsheets, text,
presentations, databases).

/tj/