incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <>
Subject Re: Quickstarter
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:41:59 GMT
On 10.08.2012 16:01, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi
> On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:38:20AM +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
>> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
>> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang
>> when closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
>> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close
>> the office cleanly.
> what do you mean by "hang"? A dead-lock? I haven't seen any dead-lock
> there, what happens is that the quick starter implements a termination
> listener that prevents the office from been terminated; you have to quit
> the office from the quickstarter icon on the system tray; I guess your
> bug in Ubuntu is that you can't find the icon anywhere.

Exactly.  I am aware that not many people will start OpenOffice from the
command line and those that do are probably able to press Ctrl-C.  It
just is an unexpected behavior.

>> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on
>> purpose?
> No, the quickstart is activated if there is a link in
> ~/.config/autostart/ pointing to
> $INSTALL_PREFIX/openoffice.org3/program/../share/xdg/qstart.desktop
> This link is created/removed when the user checks/unchecks Tools
> - Options - OOo - Memory - Enable systrat Quickstarter

I wonder how many people will find this switch.

>> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu
>> 12.04 and probably on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not
>> Gnome-2: I have no quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that
>> would a) indicate that the quickstarter is active and that b) would
>> allow me to deactivate it.
> This might be only the crappy non-upstream Ubuntu; on vanilla Gnome 3,
> as provided by Fedora, the status icons from Gnome 2 are displayed in
> the Message Panel[1] on the bottom, this panel autohides, to display it go
> with the mouse to the right bottom corner:
> This behaviour can be changed with some gnome-shell extensions that
> allow showing the status icons on the top panel. For example:

Are there other distributions that ship Gnome 3?   Ubuntu ranks second
place on distrowatch and may be the only distribution that, with unity,
uses a window manager that is not very close to either Gnome 2, Gnome 3,
or KDE.

That means, that most distributions other than Ubuntu may display the
quickstarter icon.  Maybe the users of other distributions can do a
quick search on their desktop and tell us whether they can see the icon?

> [1] I'm not sure what the technical name of this panel, but that's the
> default behaviour in vanilla Gnome 3, as seen in
> Regards

View raw message