incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ubuntu package for building AOO
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2012 17:16:56 GMT

On 08/08/2012 12:18 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 07.08.2012 19:02, Kay Schenk wrote:

>>> I don't think that this does depend on the window manager/system.  I
>>> mostly depends on the packaging mechanism (deb vs rpm) and the selection
>>> and versions of packages used by a distribution.
>>
>> um...well you are kind of right I think. I don't want to drag this out
>> with
>> my views if you are making progress on a Ubuntu packaging. I am just
>> recalling the "classic" approach to some of the Linux situations. yes,
>> there is the "deb" vs "rpm" thing, of course, but complete integration of
>> AOO with the user's environment (those problems with having ti just "show
>> up" in the user's application selection menu complete with associated
>> icons
>> and mime-type ineegration) depends to a great extent on the window
>> environment of the user.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I think that you have made an interesting point
> here.  We should take the window system into account.  But
>
> 1. this package is not user-oriented.  It does not install OpenOffice.
> It just prepares your system for building and developing OpenOffice.
> There are no (at least I don't see them yet) ties to the window system.

oh...OK. I probably misunderstood what you were doing.

> 2. There are several Linux features that would require different
> packages or packaging techniques:
> packaging: deb vs rpm,
> window manager: Unity vs Gnome3 vs KDE vs  XFCE,
> platform I: 32bit vs 64bit,
> platform II: Intel vs ARM
> version: different versions of one distribution
> etc
>
> At the moment we handle two of these with our binary Linux releases
> (packaging and platform I).  The four resulting combinations are
> multiplied by language count.  This increasing number might become a
> problem in the future.
>

>> This being said, most Linux users would just love to have a package that
>> clearly says -- "for Ubuntu", or "for Fedora", or "for openSuSE". So I
>> applaud your efforts. You are certainly motivating *me* to explore
>> openSUSE's build system, :)
> Thanks, that is good to hear.

Still investigating. I'm not sure OSB will allow dealing with our
"externals" -- those class-B items we've been discussing (and moving).

Naturally, I will post what I find discover in this process.

>> Ubuntu just happens to be the Linux distribution that I use.  But
>> since it
>>> is based on Debian, the build-aoo package may work with other Debianish
>>> distributions as well.
>>>
>>> I intended this more to be proof-of-concept than a production-ready
>>> package.
>>
>> OK, but don't stop there if you feel so inclined! :)

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
  As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                               -- Eddie Van Halen