incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Fischer <awf....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ubuntu package for building AOO
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2012 07:55:05 GMT
On 06.08.2012 22:47, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Andre Fischer <awf.aoo@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to let you know that over the weekend I played around
>>> with Ubuntu metapackages and came up with one that pulls in all
>>> packages that have to be installed in order to build Apache OpenOffice.
>>>
>>> I have put the relevant files in my public_html directory on
>>> people.apache.org.  Try it out by adding it as additional package
>>> repository and install package "build-aoo".
>>>
>>> A. With the synaptic package manager:
>>>
>>>      1. Open the repositories dialog via menu Settings->Repositories
>>>
>>>      2. Select tab page "Other Software"
>>>
>>>      3. Click the "Add..." button
>>>
>>>      4. Fill in after "APT line:"
>>>         deb http://people.apache.org/~af/repository/ ./
>>>
>>>      5. Close all dialogs.
>>>
>>>      6. Update package list by clicking on the "Reload" button of the tool
>>> bar.
>>>

>>> B. or via the command line:
>>>
>>>      1. Add these lines to /etc/apt/sources.list
>>>
>>>          deb http://people.apache.org/~af/repository/ ./
>>>          deb-src http://people.apache.org/~af/repository/ ./
>>>
>>>      2. Execute in a shell
>>>
>>>         sudo apt-get update
>>>         sudo apt-get install build-aoo
>>>

>>> The build-aoo metapackage is not signed and on installation you will
>>> be asked whether you want to install it anyway.
>>>
>>> Comments are welcome.
>>>
>> Cool.  I'll give it a try.  But please everyone, do not share this
>> link broadly outside of the dev list,because of bandwidth
>> considerations.
>>
>> Maybe after AOO 3.4.1 is released we could host something like this on
>> SourceForge or Apache Extras/Google Code?
>>
>> -Rob
>>
>>> Andre
>>>
> Andre -- good for you.
>
> Of course, I would still like to make a case for linux windows environments
> vs OSes, but I know Ubuntu now uses "unity" and I know nothing about that.

I don't think that this does depend on the window manager/system.  I
mostly depends on the packaging mechanism (deb vs rpm) and the selection
and versions of packages used by a distribution.   Ubuntu just happens
to be the Linux distribution that I use.  But since it is based on
Debian, the build-aoo package may work with other Debianish
distributions as well.

I intended this more to be proof-of-concept than a production-ready package.