incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] dynamic approach [was: Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] activation of update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1]
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 18:13:09 GMT
On 03/08/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> wrote:
>> I am planning to give a talk on ApacheCon EU about
>> the update function in AOO and the Update Service. In this talk I will give
>> a deep insight in its purpose and functionality which should be enough input
>> for a corresponding volunteer to create a "real" web service for our Update
>> Service. ...
> The question is:  how dynamic does it need to be?  It is not like the
> upgrade options change minute by minute.  These change slowly, at the
> pace of our release cycle, so every few months.

Yes, and traffic is a key factor here. With potentially hundreds of
millions of clients hitting the servers, the biggest problem is not
re-implementing the update service as a web service, but serving it
efficiently. And indeed I agree that staticizing the results somehow
would be good to do, since we have a relatively low number of possible
answers with respect to the number of requests.

View raw message