incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: icon issues with 3.4.x on Linux with KDE 4
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:23:15 GMT

On 08/03/2012 12:28 AM, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 02.08.2012 23:14, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> OK, here's the short story -- NOT a show stopper but this should be
>> covered
>> in Installation Guide (or a wiki article created to be referenced)
>> until a
>> good way to solve this -- not yet determined.
>>
>> This applies to openSUSE 11.4 on up and probably other *nixes now using
>> KDE4 instead of KDE3.
>>
>> The 3.4.x installs and I think also 3.3 sets things up in KDE as if kde3
>> were the default -- icons etc end up in /opt/kde3/share/icons/...
>>
>> Once the desktop-integration is run for SuSE, the applications themselves
>> are recognized because they get installed in a default /bin directory,
>> but
>> the icons are NOT automatically attached to the executables in the
>> graphic
>> menues because the default location of icons in kde4 is
>> "kde4_user_install_area"/share/icons vs /opt/kde3/share/icons/ where the
>> desktop-integration now puts them...
>>
>> In my case "kde4_user_install_area" is /usr.
>
> I remember one of my colleagues at Sun/Oracle had worked on a KDE4
> integration.  I think it was essentially finished but due to some
> non-technical reason was never integrated.  Maybe there is a child work
> space with the necessary changes that we could integrate?
>
> -Andre

@Ariel -- no, these issues are definitely NOT a release stopper. An
experienced Linux user should be able to use AOO 3.4.x without running
ANY of the distro integration packs. In fact, I think I've done this in
the past -- when OOo first emerged.

OK, on Andre's comments. What I'm suggesting is that we investigate
changing doing linux desktop integration based on the distro centric
approach that we have now and instead do it as a window manager approach
-- kde3, kde4, gnome2, gnome3, etc.

I will play with this over this weekend. I'm not exactly sure how this
will work. I *think*, at least from looking over the kde material, that
we might only need to augment some environment variables (globally of
course) for kde and we could put the kde integration items wherever we
want (assuming some pre-exisitng standard area of course).

I will need to look at the current scripting for this. VERY new
territory for me. :/

>> What this means is the icons are THERE, but you must manually make
>> changes
>> via the kde menuediting system -- kdemenuedit-- to make them show up
>> correctly.
>>
>> Further thoughts... is it time to revisit the desktop-integration
>> business?
>> Can these made more generic based on something else for Linux -- window
>> managers vs OSes?

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
  As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                               -- Eddie Van Halen