incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <orwittm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [UPDATE SERVICE] dynamic approach [was: Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] activation of update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1]
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:13:08 GMT
Hi,

On 03.08.2012 10:04, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> On 8/3/12 9:51 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> No objections so far.
>>> Thus, I will go ahead.
>>>
>>> First, I will ask Apache Infrastructure to establish the needed
>>> redirect from
>>> [2] to [3]. In the meanwhile I will create the corresponding XML
>>> document for
>>> this update service. I am planning to activate it after our Apache
>>> OpenOffice
>>> (incubating) 3.4.1 release.
>>>
>>> [2]
>>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>> [3]
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update32/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>>

>> I have submitted JIRA issue INFRA-5112 [1] requesting to establish the
>> needed redirect. I am asking Apache Infrastructure to establish the
>> redirect until 2012-08-15 in order to reach out our users of OOo 3.1 and
>> OOo 3.1.1 instance just in time with our planned AOO 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5112
>>

> I think we should start thinking about a more flexible dynamic approach.
> A real web service or script that provides the info on demand and
> dynamically generated based on the parameters. Means we would have one
> Url in the future where we can much easier tweak  and extend the
> underlying data instead of new Urls for new releases.
>
> The question is
> - what is posible with the existing infra structure
> - who has the knowledge and interest to work on this
> - ...
>
> Any ideas or opinions

Yes, I agree here with Jürgen.

That is the reason why I am planning to give a talk on ApacheCon EU about the
update function in AOO and the Update Service. In this talk I will give a deep
insight in its purpose and functionality which should be enough input for a
corresponding volunteer to create a "real" web service for our Update Service.
I also expect to get in contact in person with Apache Infrastructure people in
order to discuss certain prerequisites and requirements.

But, we can start the discussion right now and here on the list.
Thus, anybody who has expertise in creating such a web service and volunteers to
take over this task can get corresponding information about the update function
and the corresponding protocol here and at the wiki [1].

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol

Best regards, Oliver.