incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] activation of update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 08:04:08 GMT
On 8/3/12 9:51 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
> Hi,

>>> in order to avoid that somebody has missed the stuff ongoing
>>> regarding the
>>> update service for OOo 3.1 and OOo 3.1.1:
>>> In another thread - see [1] - Rob asked for the update service for
>>> OOo 3.1 and
>>> OOo 3.1.1. Nobody objects so far. But this was somehow hidden in
>>> another thread.
>>> Thus, I am bringing it up to its own thread.
>>>
>>> I will start working on this task, if nobody objects.
>>>
>>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/3fwnjrk7isyt5wa4
>>>

>> No objections so far.
>> Thus, I will go ahead.
>>
>> First, I will ask Apache Infrastructure to establish the needed
>> redirect from
>> [2] to [3]. In the meanwhile I will create the corresponding XML
>> document for
>> this update service. I am planning to activate it after our Apache
>> OpenOffice
>> (incubating) 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> [2]
>> http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>> [3]
>> http://www.openoffice.org/projects/update32/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>

> I have submitted JIRA issue INFRA-5112 [1] requesting to establish the
> needed redirect. I am asking Apache Infrastructure to establish the
> redirect until 2012-08-15 in order to reach out our users of OOo 3.1 and
> OOo 3.1.1 instance just in time with our planned AOO 3.4.1 release.

I think we should start thinking about a more flexible dynamic approach.
A real web service or script that provides the info on demand and
dynamically generated based on the parameters. Means we would have one
Url in the future where we can much easier tweak  and extend the
underlying data instead of new Urls for new releases.

The question is
- what is posible with the existing infra structure
- who has the knowledge and interest to work on this
- ...

Any ideas or opinions

Juergen