incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2012 21:42:16 GMT
Am 08/02/2012 02:12 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM, drew<drew@baseanswers.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 18:28 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> IMHO, we should consolidate all the porting links onto that one page.
>>> That way it gives one clear place to link to in the announcement, but
>>> also a single place we can link to from other places in the future.
>>> For example, we should probably eventually have a link to the porting
>>> page from the download page.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>
>> hmmm - well, I'm just getting around to looking at things for this
>> evening.
>>
>> Looking at the page(s) now... *chuckling*..
>>
>> This might not be the right place for what I thought was the task - a
>> list of existing known ports which are not part of the official AOO
>> release regiment.
>>
>> The porting page and it's associated pages seem more about the act of
>> creating a port, with
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_overview.html
>>
>> and
>> http://www.openoffice.org/porting/porting_implement.html
>>
>> which starts off by pointing to this page:
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Porting_Efforts
>>
>> and that offers links to places such as
>> http://www.openoffice.org/udk/cpp/man/cpp_bridges.html
>>

>> So do we really want a page for listing existing non-official ports that
>> are known, a simple information service for our users without and
>> explicitly stating such, endorsing the work - or do we want a resource
>> for those wanting to perform a port to a new platform - for the
>> announcement(s) that is.
>>

> Yes. ;-)
>
> Maybe the existing porting page remains as a developer-focused page?
> It needs to be updated, of course, but maybe not as urgent.
>
> Then we also need a user-facing page about existing ports.  Maybe that
> could be a new page in the /download directory?

There is already a page which points to 3rd party software / packages:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/non_ASF.html

Kay has created this to compensate the old distribution webpage which
was totally outdated.

So, what about to extend this new page with a "Ports" section from
FreeBSD, Solaris, OS/2 and others?

> For the announcement the user-facing one would be the most appropriate, yes?

I think so.

Marcus