incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:00:26 GMT

On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:48 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:

> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:17:57 +0100
>> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:

 Today there was this report
filled with various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that looks
like an installer. How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me in the
shape of a zip file full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be honest."

IE in some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type
.zip.

send me the following additional comment
the shape of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt
files. Perhaps this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must
be a problem for many users."

available.  But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the
Extensions page is valid and worthwhile.

>>> I am certain the download page is correct as to the extension.  The change to
zip seems to depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of IE did this,
without notification. When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.  Most of
the active members of this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default browser,
and will also update it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

>>> --
>>> Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>
>>>

>> I understand that this problem comes from IE8.
>>

> I just tried using ie8 to download Writer2epub along with a random sample of other extensions.
I can confirm that it does indeed change the extension to zip. I second Rory's suggestion
that a notice be put on the page to that effect along with instructions to rename it to .oxt
after download.

Has anyone inspected the MIME Type returned? If it is not a proper one for OXT then it is
possible that IE8 is doing detection of the type.

Regards,
Dave