incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:18:34 GMT

On Aug 24, 2012, at 8:00 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:48 AM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>
>> Rory O'Farrell wrote:

 Today there was this report
file filled with various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that
looks like an installer. How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me
in the shape of a zip file full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be
honest."

IE in some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type
.zip.

then send me the following additional comment
in the shape of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt
files. Perhaps this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must
be a problem for many users."

available.  But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the
Extensions page is valid and worthwhile.

to zip seems to depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of IE did
this, without notification. When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.  Most
of the active members of this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default browser,
and will also update it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

>>> I understand that this problem comes from IE8.
>>>

>> I just tried using ie8 to download Writer2epub along with a random sample of other
extensions. I can confirm that it does indeed change the extension to zip. I second Rory's
suggestion that a notice be put on the page to that effect along with instructions to rename
it to .oxt after download.

> Has anyone inspected the MIME Type returned? If it is not a proper one for OXT then it
is possible that IE8 is doing detection of the type.

I did the following:

$ curl http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14712909/macro/w2e/writer2epub.oxt -D header > writer2epub.oxt

Here is the header:

$ more header
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: nginx/1.0.14
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:15:24 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
content-length: 1372152
x-robots-tag: noindex,nofollow
accept-ranges: bytes
etag: 4363n
pragma: public
cache-control: max-age=0

So, IE8 for these users is set to ignore the file extensions and guess the file type for the
general type: application/octet-stream

Regards,
Dave