incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:45:07 GMT

at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions for Mac Builds?

doesn't seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?

that I have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.

>>> I am stuck and I am stopping. I am very unhappy with the instructions on the
WIki page. I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.

the Wiki based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions

>>> BTW - Remember that SOURCE is the ONLY OFFICIAL RELEASE.
>>>

>> That is your opinion, expressed loudly;  it is not Apache or IPMC
>> policy.   We are officially voting on binaries as well and these are
>> being inspected and these will be part of the official release.  The
>> IPMC doc calls the source artifacts "canonical", but the same docs
>> talk about binaries being included in the official release as well.
>> In fact, it says of binary packages, "For some projects, this makes
>> sense. For others, it does not."  Obviously you have your own opinion
>> on this, but it is equally true that the vast majority of PPMC members
>> have a different opinion.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> Rob,
>
> Please consider the blistering email from Roy T. Fielding, to general@inc and to infra,
on 3/27, 05:50, opposing "released' binaries. IMHO, he will need to change his mind. OTOH,
he is a founder and board member ...

Yes, this was one of the ways that the evolution in what is meant by official releases. It
is also allowing for more pragmatic consumption of other licenses in convenience binaries.
This may (or may not) be related to the Oracle vs. Google case.

Regards,
Dave