incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:59:18 GMT

at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions for Mac Builds?

this doesn't seem exactly like what was used for 3.4.0?

and that I have them from my AOO 3.4 tests build.

the WIki page. I needed help with 3.4 and now I need help with 3.4.1.

on the Wiki based on http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/MacOSXBuildInstructions

>>> - but I thought that as part of accepting this project ASF was saying
>>> they were open to change.. am I just wrong on that - cause folks keep
>>> saying this as if it is a FACT and I thought it was going to be up to
>>> this project to decide whether binaries are official, or not.
>>>
>>> That is what I thought when I cast my non-binding vote to create this
>>> project at ASF - specifically that it was recognized as needing this
>>> type of differentiation from earlier projects.
>>
>> Binary artifacts are fine, they are just considered to be "unofficial convenience
artifacts".

>> The ASF's mission is software for the public good. That means that users must be
able to see the source and be able to build it for themselves. They must be able to inspect
the source to see that it is unhindered.

>> So, the IP must be clear and transparently so. This is what an IPMC and ASF Member
must measure their vote on.

>> Sorry, I'm a bit cranky right now. My cpan disappeared while trying to assure that
I had the now required LWP::UserAgent. No one tested the new download_external_dependencies.pl
properly.

> 1. LWP::UserAgent has been a prerequisite for years.  But I think I remember that it
was temporarily removed from one of the older platform specific build instruction pages.

> 2. Can you be more specific regarding your problems with download_external_dependencies.pl
so that I can fix it?  It exists under this name for more than two months and since it is
used in every setup of a build I would say that it is fairly well tested.  But that does not
mean that it is error free.

> 3. Please have a look at http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO.
 Maybe that page is more helpful.  If not, please help me to improve it.

That page *IS* much better!

To handle my case it would be good to suggest that a user upgrade their Perl dependencies.
That path != install.

As long as the READMEs links get a user to eventually get to this MWiki page that would be
great!

A link to a separate page about checking NOTICE, LICENSE and running Rat might be helpful,
but that is another thread.

Best Regards,
Dave

> -Andre
>

>> My real message is that the project needs to clean up the build instructions so that
special knowledge and/or help is not a prerequisite.

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> //drew

RC2