incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW]Some trouble with the new URLs for the forums
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2012 16:15:08 GMT

On Aug 26, 2012, at 8:03 AM, RGB ES wrote:

> 2012/8/26 Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org>:
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM, RGB ES <rgb.mldc@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Adding to the (lack of) redirection problem between the old and the
>>> new URL expressed on other threads, there are other problems reported
>>> by users. The first one is that forum notifications still arrive with
>>> only the old URL. Also, there are users experimenting problems with
>>> automatic log-in not working on the new URL.
>>>
>>> Another point that came to my mind is what happens with web crawler
>>> bots registered on the forums: I think that google, yahoo and all the
>>> others are still logging on (and indexing) the old URLs and ignoring
>>> the new ones. In fact, when you perform a web search on google, for
>>> example, about AOO all results that point to the forums show the old
>>> URL...
>>>

>> Are we exposing two different URL's for the forums, with the same
>> content?
>
> Exactly. You can enter the forum from both, the user.service... and
> the forum.openoffice... addresses.

I know what we need to do. We need to either:

(1) Deploy Apache Traffic Server in front of the Forums on the ooo-forums VM. We have that
on ooo-wiki which is why that redirection works better.

(2) Modify the apache.conf on ooo-forums VM to do a permanent redirection.

There are probably actions the forum sysadmin needs to take.

The runbooks for both ooo-wiki and ooo-forums need to be checked if they are fully up to date.
TerryE's falling out with Infra was in part over Infra's understandable requirement that the
runbooks be quickly consumable by anyone in text. He refused and so these are at risk.

Regards,
Dave

> If so that is bad for Google.  It could penalize the forums
>> in search results due to the "duplicate content penalty"  (essentially
>> it looks spammy to have identical content at multiple different
>> URL's).
>>
>> See:  http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/09/demystifying-duplicate-content-penalty.html
>>
>> The preferred way is to either:
>>
>> 1) Redirect from the old URL to the new URL
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) Use the re="canonical" directive to ;et Google know what the
>> preferred URL is;
>> http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html
>>

>>> Could a redirection solve all this problems at once?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ricardo