incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Triage of Brainstorming
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:58:08 GMT
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:49:02 -0700
Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2012, at 7:39 AM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:31 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> >>
> >> In due course, when we've all had a little rest after the release of AOO 3.4.1,
it will be necessary to do some triage work on the Brainstorming, so that the most requested
changes make their way onto the planning table for AOO 4.0.  Many of the suggestions can be
amalgamated, for example improved doc/docx, xls/xlsx etc support; within reason these can
all be amalgamated into "improved support for MS Office formats, current and legacy".  Other
suggestions are readily achievable by existing faciites in OpenOffice; such requests might
indicate need for better education of Users or more accessible documentation/tutorials.

> >> Supposing that the Brainstorm is continued beyond AOO 4.0, should we prune it
in the light of whatever choices are made for AOO 4.0; should we also register comments against
some of the already readily achievable functions, to give pointers to (say) the Forums and/or
tutorials which indicate how to do that function?

> >> Could we have some discussion on how best to analyse and progress the current
nearly 300 suggestions [as of date of posting)

> > We're getting a lot more feedback than I expected:  305 people have
> > submitted 284 ideas and cast 3,106 votes.
> >
> > IMHO, this is wonderful.   In some sense the voting process itself
> > helps triage, especially if project members are also submitting ideas
> > and voting, which I hope we all are.
>
> Not all of us have the time.
> >
> > I like your idea of combining closely related or duplicate ideas.
> > Maybe in the end we could promote a "top 10" list of ideas, in a blog
> > post, and collect also commentary from project members related to
> > these top 10 ideas.
>
> I think that coming back to ooo-dev with "Top" ideas is appropriate.

One of my concerns was that the multiple requests for similar features/support might cause
these to drop off the radar as their voting would be too fragmented.  Hence my suggestion
that we consider amalgamation of closely related suggestions; the coding for one specific
suggestion might easily expand to cover the coding necessary for a particular range.  Hence
the need for some form of triage to make best use of coding resources.

> > Another approach would be to take the top ideas and use them as
> > additional input to a survey design that Kevin and Graham were looking
> > into.  We could take the top 10 (or 20) ideas and in the survey ask
> > users to rate them.
>
> FYI - The ASF Board has created a new TLP called Apache Steve which will expose the Voting
mechanism used by the ASF membership.