incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) released
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:52:39 GMT
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:44:34 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:43 PM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:29:57 -0400
> > "Maurice Howe" <maurice@stny.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I use AVG 2012.0.2180 Free Edition
> >>
> > I installed AOO 3.4.1 on one of my Windows machines today and AVG didn't complain.
 I'll check in detail tomorrow when the machine is awake - near midnight here and I'm closing
down. It is often the case that new OpenOffice releases trigger false positives from virus
scanners.
> >  --
>
> I put AVG free version on an XP VM, updated virus signatures,
> installed AOO 3.4.1 Windows en-US from the website and did a full
> scan.  No issues reported.
>
> So if Maurice was indeed getting an AV hit, that suggests he might
> actually have something, either preexisting on his machine, or from
> downloading AOO from another website.  If it were really a false
> positive, wouldn't we be seeing it as well?
>
> -Rob
>
> > Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.

I'm sure we would all be seeing a warning if there was an intrinsic problem in the compiled
code.  Normal reaction from Volunteers on en-Forum is that a virus/malware warning on a new
release of OpenOffice from the approved download sites is a false positive and I think so
it has always proved; with the transition to Apache special care is needed until the AOO releases
become well established, lest there be adverse publicity/comment.

It would be helpful if Maurice could tell us the URL of the download site, the actual file
name and size.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>