incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:17:57 GMT
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:12:58 +0200
Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just checked the Writer2Epub v1.1.7 extension on the extension site.
> The extension downloads correctly with oxt file extension.
>
> It is correct that from technical view an oxt file is a zip archive
> containing all content needed to install as an extension into Apache
> OpenOffice.
>
> Am 24.08.2012 15:00, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> > On the en-Forum I have seen a number of reports of downloading problems.  Today
there was this report
> > " I tried to download and install the ePub 1.1.17 extension. A zip file filled with
various folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that looks like an installer.
How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me in the shape of a zip file
full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be honest."

> > I suggested this might be a browser problem, as some browsers (definitely IE in
some versions, there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type .zip.

> > The user renamed the .zip to .oxt and it installed correctly.  He then send me the
following additional comment
> > "Thanks! I download the Dutch Spelling Checker and it also arrived in the shape
of a zip file. Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt files. Perhaps
this trick should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must be a problem
for many users."

> > I have asked what browser he is using and will post that detail when available.
 But in the meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the Extensions
page is valid and worthwhile.

> Kind regards, Joost

I am certain the download page is correct as to the extension.  The change to zip seems to
depend on the browser in use.  I know that some earlier version of IE did this, without notification.
When I get further information I'll post it to this thread.  Most of the active members of
this list will use a browser of choice rather than a default browser, and will also update
it, so won't be aware of this problem with some older browser.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>