incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Extension downloading problem
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:00:01 GMT
On the en-Forum I have seen a number of reports of downloading problems.  Today there was this
report
" I tried to download and install the ePub 1.1.17 extension. A zip file filled with various
folders containing all kinds of files is downloaded. Nothing that looks like an installer.
How do I install this extension? When a program is offered to me in the shape of a zip file
full of different files, I never know what to do with it, to be honest."

I suggested this might be a browser problem, as some browsers (definitely IE in some versions,
there may be others) rename the OpenOffice extensions silently to type .zip.

The user renamed the .zip to .oxt and it installed correctly.  He then send me the following
additional comment
"Thanks! I download the Dutch Spelling Checker and it also arrived in the shape of a zip file.
Now I've renamed them both and they both snapped into being .oxt files. Perhaps this trick
should be mentioned on the Extensions "Introductory Page"? It must be a problem for many users."

I have asked what browser he is using and will post that detail when available.  But in the
meantime I think his suggestion of a mention of this problem on the Extensions page is valid
and worthwhile.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>