incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) released
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 08:20:44 GMT
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:01:42 -0400
"Maurice Howe" <maurice@stny.rr.com> wrote:

> Got a warning msg that your product was unsafe, so I deleted the download.
> Here's the msg.
<snip>

I have this morning scanned my Windows XP computer on which is installed yesterday's release
of AOO 3.4.1 using AVG Free edition 2012.0.2197 (this morning's update) at the most detailed
settings and it has received a clean bill of health.

The question that might arise in connection with the original post is that of the filename/download
site; if it is from a legitimate (i.e. Apache controlled site) there should be no worries.

It was in the past not unusual for new releases of OOo to give false positives on many virus
scanners - the hooks for online updating registered sometimes as poentialy unwanted programs/possible
trojans.

As another poster (Dan?) pointed out, it is possible to check the Md5Sums of the downloaded
file against the MD5Sum list on the Apache site, to be certain that it is exactly the file
prepared and released by Apache.  If these sums check out then all should be well.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>