incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: BAD link
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:13:03 GMT
On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 09:03:35AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <arielch@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 02:18:22PM +0200, J├╝rgen Schmidt wrote:
> >> I was too fast and should have read the thread completely.
> >>
> >> I can't remember the reason why I left out the en-US lang packs, we
> >> should check if they are necessary at all or if en-US is always there.
> >
> > If you install a localized install set, you get only that localized
> > language. IIRC OOo never released en-US language packs, that's why many
> > people working in translation, needing to check some UI string in
> > English, ended up installing the en-GB language pack. Although for this
> > use case, it would be better to provide archived versions.
> >
> > It would be interesting to know the statistics, from which countries
> > where those en-US language packs downloaded.
> >

> I've updated the download page to remove the en-US langpack links.  We
> can add them back in a day or two, once the files have been uploaded
> and synched.
>
> The stats I have for AOO 3.4.0 show that this langpack was download
> around 400/day.  So not huge.  I don't have the country breakdown in
> front of me, but I can run a report on it if you are interested.

If would be interesting, if I had any idea about what would these
numbers mean ;) If we see downloads coming from very specifics countries
with languages for which we provide full install sets, would it mean
that the translation is poor or incomplete at some point, and the user
prefers to switch to en-US? Hard to guess.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina