incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: Easy Crashing with 3.4.1 RC2
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 08:06:53 GMT
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 15:49:15 +0800
imacat <imacat@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

> On 2012/8/23 03:20pm, Rory O'Farrell said:
> > On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:00:52 +0200
> > Raphael Bircher <rbircher@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Is this a random crash that you add no more informations. I tested it on
> >> mac without any problem.
> >>
> >> Greetings Raphael

> > Have you tried the usual first course with OpenOffice, namely renaming your User
Profile, or logging on as a different User, so as to iuse a default profile?

>     Hmm...  This worth a try.  I was not reminded of it.  I shall come
> back later.
>
>     My OSs are Windows 7, Debian Squeeze, Fedora 17, openSUSE 12.1, etc.
>

> > Also, please let us know your Operating System.

I have 3.4.1 running on Ubuntu 11.10.  My use is mainly for text editing, but I have done
very little of that in the past few days; I have had no crashes.

Personal experience and reports on the User Forum indicate that the default startup User Profile
can sometimes be corrupt, even on "clean" (i.e, no previous OO) installs.  We on the Forum
know that a very large proportion of OpenOffice problems can be cured by using a new User
Profile.  In the case of an advanced user, with much customisation in the profile, it is possible
to rename the old profile and later bring forward components individually to the new profile
until the bad component is isolated.  Life is not long enough for this, in my opinion!

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>