incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie>
Subject Re: NewWikiMainPage
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:11:39 GMT
On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:47:34 -0400
Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:48 PM,  <CetaceaAnn@aol.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am trying to determine if there is an OpenOffice equivalent to MS
> > Publisher.
>
> OpenOffice Draw has some desktop publishing features.  You could try
> that.  Or depending on your needs another open source option is
> Scribus:
>
> http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob
>
> > Thank you,
> > Anne K,

It depends how complex your DTP needs are.  For layout of a book of mostly text, OpenOffice
will do a very good job quite easily (Pace typesetting purists!).  For more complex layouts
with many illustrations/tables etc, reports vary - some succeed, some don't.  If you are trying
to do cutting edge graphical book layout you should certainly look elsewhere.

In any case, a stable computer and a regular backup policy is a necessity.  On any substantial
work I am doing, I back up morning and evening under time stamped copies.  Fortunately I have
never had rely on a backup (3500 edits on each of two substabtial works over four years),
but there are many reports of work being wiped out at the eleventh hou, for reasons not yet
clear.

--
Rory O'Farrell <ofarrwrk@iol.ie>