incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Quickstarter
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:01:22 GMT
Hi

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 09:38:20AM +0200, Andre Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently testing a fix for showstopper bug 120476.  I am doing
> this on a 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 (building install sets is an order of
> magnitude faster than on windows.)  During that I observed a hang
> when closing the office.  It is caused by the quickstarter: starting
> OpenOffice with the command line option -quickstart=no lets me close
> the office cleanly.

what do you mean by "hang"? A dead-lock? I haven't seen any dead-lock
there, what happens is that the quick starter implements a termination
listener that prevents the office from been terminated; you have to quit
the office from the quickstarter icon on the system tray; I guess your
bug in Ubuntu is that you can't find the icon anywhere.

> Now my question: did we activate the quickstarter on Linux on
> purpose?

No, the quickstart is activated if there is a link in
~/.config/autostart/ pointing to
$INSTALL_PREFIX/openoffice.org3/program/../share/xdg/qstart.desktop

This link is created/removed when the user checks/unchecks Tools
- Options - OOo - Memory - Enable systrat Quickstarter

> If so, we may have a small problem at least on Ubuntu
> 12.04 and probably on any Linux that uses a GTK based UI that is not
> Gnome-2: I have no quickstarter button anywhere on the screen, that
> would a) indicate that the quickstarter is active and that b) would
> allow me to deactivate it.

This might be only the crappy non-upstream Ubuntu; on vanilla Gnome 3,
as provided by Fedora, the status icons from Gnome 2 are displayed in
the Message Panel[1] on the bottom, this panel autohides, to display it go
with the mouse to the right bottom corner:
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/aoo-gnome3-systray.png
This behaviour can be changed with some gnome-shell extensions that
allow showing the status icons on the top panel. For example:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/99/evial-status-icon-forerver/
https://github.com/MrTheodor/gnome-shell-ext-icon-manager

[1] I'm not sure what the technical name of this panel, but that's the
default behaviour in vanilla Gnome 3, as seen in
http://www.gnome.org/gnome-3/

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile