incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Need to Revisit RAT Excludes and Wildcards
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:42:41 GMT

----- Original Message -----

> Hi Folks,
>
> We are really getting ahead of ourselves.

I think so too :(.

> We have a legitimate -1 IPMC vote on our release, it might get changed - Marvin
> asked for confirmation that the IPMC votes are based only on the official SOURCE
> release.

Marvin's intervention is very far reaching indeed. It pretty much supports the position
that there is no such thing as a binary release, and it involves some issues that have
to be solved before graduation.

For the podling, up till now, the source was only of secondary importance because
end users (and QA) can't really evaluate the source code and instead are interested
in the behaviour of the program (therefore the executables). As I see it, the issue of
considering the source code alone is very valid for the IPMC. I think it is perfectly
reasonable that this issue has come up at this time.

The particular concern of how the "official" packages are generated and distributed
is also interesting. At this time I would say the FreeBSD port is as legitimate and
worthy of being tagged "Apache OpenOffice" as the Windows packages in
sourceforge.

> PS. Sure glad that we did as suggested by Pedro ;-)

Yes, thanks for mentioning! I took a lot of heat for it at the time but finally it should
be clear it had to be done :).

Pedro.