incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating), RC2
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:27:00 GMT
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 18:06 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Aug 15, 2012, at 5:37 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> >> Rob,
> >>
> >> Please consider the blistering email from Roy T. Fielding, to general@inc
> >> and to infra, on 3/27, 05:50, opposing "released' binaries. IMHO, he will
> >> need to change his mind. OTOH, he is a founder and board member ...
> >>

> > Current IPMC policy, as documented, states otherwise.   ASF practice,
> > both with TLP's and Podlings, is to release binaries where the PMC
> > wishes to do so.  The general discussion has gone far beyond whether
> > or not we release binaries or whether they are official.  We're now
> > discussing how rather than whether these binaries can be signed.
> >
> > Availability of source code is what makes Apache OpenOffice open
> > source.  But the binaries are what make OpenOffice an end user
> > application, something no other Apache project has previously
> > attempted.  So it is not surprising that this is a challenge to
> > long-held practices and habits for some Apache members.  But this is
> > fully in accord with the Apache mission to publish software for the
> > public good.  I'd like to think that open minds can see how binaries
> > can be just as much of a public benefit as source code can be.  If
> > this is not apparent to anyone, I'd recommend a read of this page:
> >
> > http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mission.html
> >
> > So again I would ask that we choose our words more carefully, since
> > they are repeated, out of context, and are ascribed greater authority
> > than we might intend. For example, I read recently on a European
> > Commission websiste that a group of French agencies decided not to use
> > Apache OpenOffice, in part because they were lead to believe that
> > "Apache...doesn’t deliver installable software (binaries)".  This is
> > absolutely false.
>
> Convenience binary artifacts are released for the benefit of users.
>
> At the most basic level when we VOTE we are approving the source release. We are stating
that we understand the License and Copyright of the source and that it is in Policy. This
is the standard for the IPMC and an Apache Member. It is not a vote that says that the code
even works properly it confirms that it is valid Apache Release.

> We, the PPMC, also VOTE that these binary artifacts are of high quality and that they
work, but we are relying on others in the project to come up with that in aggregate - none
of us have every environment - none of us understand every language. This is a different standard.
We are certifying that the source release when built produces these artifacts and that they
are useful to users.

> We can consider how to treat the word "Official" or "Certified" around platform builds
that may be called "Apache OpenOffice" as opposed to "Powered by Apache OpenOffice". This
certainly gets into the area of digital signatures which is fast becoming a topic for multiple
projects at The ASF. And yes the quality is about the control of the build.

> Does that help?

NO

The ASF stands behind the actual binary release as official or not, it
is not a niggling point in my mind. What does that mean - it means that
a binary will be kept available (not just the source), it means that a
security fix is not released if it is in source only, for a package that
has been previously released in binary form, not as a convenience but
has a duty.

//drew

> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > -Rob
> >
> >> (Sorry for no neat refs; I keep my own archives :-) )
> >> /tj/

RC2

It will again

English,