incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From drew <d...@baseanswers.com>
Subject Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:22:14 GMT
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 18:59 +0200, RGB ES wrote:
> 2012/8/15 drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com>:

managed through a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the originating subdomain)
only. So user.services.openoffice.org has no way to know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org,
unless we completely rewrite all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to
forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING .

contain "internal" links that reference user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it
would be better to use an "external" redirect as explained above.

> >> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed
to the same IP by DNS.

> >> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the
same IP by DNS.

> >> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front
and it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.

> >> Should we do something similar for the user forums?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just checked and the phpBB installation, for En at least but I'd assume
> > same for all, list the base URL of the site as
> > user.services.openoffice.org,  all generated links then use this.
> >
> > Isn't it proper now to use the forum.openoffice.org address?
> >
> > Don't suppose doing so would help alleviate the currently discussed
> > problem though.
> >
> > However - it is also possible to configure phpBB such that the software
> > determines, at runtime versus a hard coded setting, what the proper base
> > domain name is - now that might be worth a test..
> >
> > @imacat - what do you think?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > //drew
> >

> I'm not an expert, but the problem is that the [url=...]...[/url] tags
> only accept absolute paths. It is possible to define relative tags(1),
> I just did it for the ES forums and they work perfectly, but that will
> not help with the existing situation, only a proper redirect will
> help.
>
> (1) http://ittidbit.blogspot.it/2011/09/phpbb-relative-url-howto-bbcode.html
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Howdy Ricardo,

OK - well I was thinking about the problem you where having staying
logged in (cookie problem likely) in my last post.

For the existing links in posts.. well, it is just a string in a
database record - one UPDATE script transforming user.service.o.o to
forums.o.o should do the trick, shouldn't it.

//drew