incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Pedro Giffuni <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Python
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:19:53 GMT
Hi Alexandro;

>________________________________
> From: Alexandro Colorado <jza@oooes.org>
>> Adding Python3 compatibility is not difficult, I think, but an interesting
>> alternative, that people can try now, would be to build/ship AOO with PyPy :
>>
>> http://pypy.org/
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Pedro.
>

>Since PyPy is built on top of Python, I wonder how will that impact the gcc
>issue?

PyPy supports the C API so it should just work by using it as the external
python implementation. A quick google search would imply someone did it
already.

I think it may be an interesting option for packagers but I wouldn't like to
bring PyPy into AOO: the build process looks somewhat complex although
it's probably more portable that the standard CPython.

>Also would be interesting to test the pyuno module in PyPy make sure is
>compatible.

According to the PyPy site it is compatible with Python 2.7.2 so it should
just work.

>Finally I wonder which extension is dependend on Python2 from the PyUNO
>module?

There are probably a lot of scripts out there? Unfortunately it doesn't look like
pyuno is very popular.

Pedro.