incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:48:22 GMT

On Aug 15, 2012, at 9:37 AM, drew jensen wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 17:08 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

>>> I would consider this to be normal behavior. Authentication is probably managed
through a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the originating subdomain) only.
So user.services.openoffice.org has no way to know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org,
unless we completely rewrite all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to
forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING .

>>> If we have hardcoded links that are not rewritten (i.e., if pages on forum.openoffice.org
contain "internal" links that reference user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it
would be better to use an "external" redirect as explained above.

>> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed
to the same IP by DNS.

>> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the same
IP by DNS.

>> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front and
it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.

>> Should we do something similar for the user forums?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Just checked and the phpBB installation, for En at least but I'd assume
> same for all, list the base URL of the site as
> user.services.openoffice.org,  all generated links then use this.
>
> Isn't it proper now to use the forum.openoffice.org address?
>
> Don't suppose doing so would help alleviate the currently discussed
> problem though.

It would be proper in combination with a virtual host entry in the ooo-fourms' apache2.conf
file for wiki.services.openoffice.org and then to redirect all of that traffic to wiki.openoffice.org
permanently.

> However - it is also possible to configure phpBB such that the software
> determines, at runtime versus a hard coded setting, what the proper base
> domain name is - now that might be worth a test..

> @imacat - what do you think?

Yes, what do you think?

Regards,
Dave