incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE]: release preparation
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:25:07 GMT

On Aug 17, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

on and inspect these binaries did we?

>>> Some extensions were included in the binaries, installed automatically
>>> as part of the main product install.  They look like integrated parts
>>> of the UI.  You can see Presentation Manager in Impress, under
>>> Tools/Minimize Presentation.  I'm pretty sure the Presenter Console
>>> requires two displays, so I can't see it.
>>>
>>> The question is how we take the extensions in standalone form and put
>>> them in other common repositories?
>>>
>>> Would this be analogous to what Java-based projects do with Maven?
>>> They build and release a larger source and binary distribution for
>>> their release, and that release distribution might contain several
>>> related libraries.  And after the release is made a volunteer uploads
>>> the individual libraries to the central maven repository,
>>>
>>> How is that done with Maven central repository?  Does the project do
>>> that officially?  Or someone just does that individually?
>>
>> We do it officially in Apache POI. See https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/trunk/maven/.
>>
>> We've voted on these artifacts as well.
>>
>> I think that if we have Extensions that are packaged separately they can be distributed
in similar manner to the source, sdk, and binary distros. They do need a VOTE thread and then
verifiable.

> I don't think they are packaged separately, at least not at the source
> level.  In other words, we don't have a source package for them that
> is separate from the full AOO 3.4.1. source packages.   And I doubt
> that in binary form they are self-contained release artifacts, each
> with their own LICENSE and NOTICE files.
>
> Although this could technically be done, to turn these into real
> release artifacts, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort of doing
> this, especially if anyone one of us can just upload the extensions to
> the repository without further effort.   In any case, for these
> extensions I think the plan is to more fully integrate them into the
> product in the future.

Since the extensions can get separated out of the build then those artifacts should be exposed
as three more binary artifacts with hashes for verification and VOTE.

>> We can follow the AOO341 release with an Extensions Release.
>>

> Certainly not objections if someone wants to do that.

None here - just that we'll need to agree to release.

Regards,
Dave

> -Rob
>
>> Regards,