incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:56:20 GMT
I'm going over my daily quota on this thread.  One clarification and then no more for today:

I never suggested that the *proposed* PMC be the body that recommends the chair.  The only
body here that deals with personnel matters and other matters requiring binding votes on the
project is the PPMC.

There is no PPMC chair.  There is to be a PMC and a PMC Chair as part of creating the TLP.
 Those are offered up by recommendation from the PPMC (with the concurrence of the Incubator
PMC, one presumes).

I agree that this should be done as transparently as possible, even though ultimately the
PPMC is responsible (with regard to the recommendation to the Board).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:47
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:35 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>> I'm not comfortable having a PMC Chair election and nomination on ooo-dev.
>>

> It appears the IPMC was able to do this for their own Chair.

Well they were able to reach consensus, but this was after a very, very long set of discussions
that backed into selecting a new Chair. The discussion was not initially about the Chair.

>> I also agree that we should form the PMC membership first.
>>

> See  my response to Dennis on  this.  There is no PMC here, only a PPMC.

Certainly and already replied. Maybe we should just call it the once and future PMC and stop
having a silly semantic argument.

I've written what I want to say about this today and will now go back to work.

Regards,
Dave

>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> On Aug 23, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
>>
>>> I suggest that the initial Project Management Committee (PMC) needs to be identified
before the election of a Chair from that body is undertaken.

>>> Also, this seems like a very good time to review, for the benefit of all here,
what the duties of PMC members are and, with respect to that, what the specific responsibilities
of the Chair are and what the special standing of the Chair is so its accountability can be
carried out.