incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:22:14 GMT
I suggest that the initial Project Management Committee (PMC) needs to be identified before
the election of a Chair from that body is undertaken.

Also, this seems like a very good time to review, for the benefit of all here, what the duties
of PMC members are and, with respect to that, what the specific responsibilities of the Chair
are and what the special standing of the Chair is so its accountability can be carried out.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2012 10:36
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Proposed PMC Chair nomination process

Now that the community graduation ballot has passed, one of our next
tasks is to identify a PMC Chair.

You can read about the duties of a PMC Chair here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair

How do we want to do this?

A strawman proposal:

1) Nominations would be open for 72 hours.  Anyone can nominate
someone for the role.  Self-nominations are fine.  And of course
nominations can be declined.

2) If there is only one nomination, then we are done, provided there
are no sustained objections.

3) If there is more than one nomination we discuss on the list for
another 72 hours.  Discussion would primarily be on ooo-dev, but some
subjects might be directed to ooo-private.

4) If after 72-hours discussion there are still two or more nominees
then we vote.  Everyone would be welcome to vote, but binding votes
would be from PPMC members.  If there are more than 2 candidates we
would probably need to use a more complicated voting system, or have a
run-off vote if none of the nominees receive an outright majority.

Any improvements or alternatives to this basic scheme?

Regards,

-Rob