incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice Mac)
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2012 01:10:31 GMT
I just noticed that the document is in XLS format, though it is seen running in OpenOffice.org
Calc. (On a Mac?)

The AC/DC ASCII-art video (one I first saw in an XLS format a couple of years ago) as done
in ODS doesn't use any Windows-specific objects.  The narrative explaining how that one was
done (linked by Andrea) goes into that.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2012 15:40
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Yes. You can do this with OpenOffice. (MysteryGuitarMan video with OpenOffice
Mac)

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM, Andreas S├Ąger <villeroy@t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 10.08.2012 02:24, Rob Weir wrote:
>>

>> And here is the "behind the scenes" video that explains how he did it:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PCTinsZ7dM
>>

> Having a video converter which creates the coarse pixel frames, all you need
> is one matrix of color values per frame and script to dump them into the
> Calc document.
>
> Matrix of 16 colors calculated from 32x32 random values:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/file/zfw69gddrcwacoc/PixelMatrix.ods

Cool.  How would we get the pixel level numeric data into the
spreadsheet initially?  I assume there is nothing in the macro
language that can parse image data at that level. So we'd need to call
out to a helper library?

Also, one other nice time to have -- not strictly necessary, but would
improve the results -- picking an optimal color palette that best
matches the colors in the original image.  There are some standard
algorithms for this:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_quantization

-Rob