incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: FW: Office to Become Fully Open XML Compliant (at last)
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:19:26 GMT
Rob is correct.

The carve-out for strict was done as he says, with it not working that way in the original
ECMA-376 (1st edition) specification that was brought to ISO/IEC JTC1.

There were also some technical disconnects created in the way the carve-out was executed,
although my perception is that the most clumsy of those have been resolved in maintenance.

One would no more cease accepting transitional than Office Next (also dubbed 365/2013) does.
 When one would decide to produce strict (or have an option to do so) as well as produce transitional
is also a matter for careful consideration.

 - Dennis

PS: Since there is no support for embedded RDF in OOXML by Office Next, I can't imagine it
being handled in the Office Next support for ODF.  There is some degree of parity with ODF
digital signatures but I doubt any for ODF encryption.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Weir [mailto:robweir@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 16:00
To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: Office to Become Fully Open XML Compliant (at last)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Lawrence Rosen <lrosen@rosenlaw.com> wrote:
> FYI. /Larry

It is great to read about the improved ODF support, including ODF 1.2,
with OpenFormula and digital signature support.  Those are two of the
major additions we made in ODF 1.2.  The other was adding RDFa/RDF XML
support, which neither OpenOffice nor MS Office support. ( But there
is some support in Calligra Suite).

OOXML Strict was a concession to ISO National Bodies, a last ditch
effort invented in a conference room in Geneva to pacify delegates at
the Ballot Resolution Meeting.  I was there.  I saw it.  There may be
specialized applications where OOXML Strict support is useful, such as
a format that a document generation application can target.  But for
AOO, and for any other editor that cannot control the formats of input
documents,  we need to be prepared to handle whatever users toss to
us, and that includes OOXML from Office 2007 and 2010, as well as
2013.

-Rob

[ ... ]