incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: EXTERNAL: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:38:43 GMT
Steele, Raymond wrote:
> Information about the Solaris port is useful to me.

Solaris, OS/2)?

> I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a bullet list where I
highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms are supported, mention the Windows 8 compatibility
improvements,  and then follow with this bullet item:

> "Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports, with plans to release
these outside of Apache."

> Is this accurate and worth saying?   Would it make sense to also
> include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for more information?
>
> Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close ecosystem, with developers
working directly in our project to support these ports.  So I think there is some logic to
mentioning them in the release announcement.  But work that happens entirely outside of the
project, like portable applications versions, would not get a mention.

> Does this seem fair and appropriate?
>
> If we agree to do this, I'll need a link for each of BSD, Solaris and OS/2, for more
information.

> The alternative would be to not mention the ports at all.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

Hi Rob;

I was just considering asking the same question in regards to the 3.4.1
Release Notes. I believe that is is worth mentioning all three platforms
as even though they may not as yet release through the Apache
infrastructure the work is being done within the project by people, some
of whom if not all, are committers.

Regards
Keith