incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Keith N. McKenna" <keith.mcke...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [RELEASE] Next Release - 3.4.2? 3.5? 4.0?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:50:19 GMT
Shenfeng Liu wrote:
> Hi, all,
>    Since we are stepping forward to the 3.4.1 release smoothly, I think
> maybe it is time for us to look ahead for our next release now.
>
>    I remember we had a discussion previously on how to run AOO's future
> releases, time boxed vs content boxed, 3.4.1 vs 3.5 vs 4.0... I think we
> should resume this discussion.
>
>    IMHO, timely release will give AOO a very good promotion to marketing.
> Certainly we can decide the size of the release. We released 3.4 at May 8,
> and then will release 3.4.1 after about 3 months. It looks like a very good
> rhythm. Maybe we can consider a 3.4.2 in 4Q, 3.5 in 1Q next year...
>
>    Another way to consider is the release contents. Checking the feature
> requirement list and defect backlog, see what we can make after 3 months or
> 6 months. Or if there is any thing must be in the next release no matter
> how long it will take (e.g. security fix). We partially did this practice
> before by collecting the 4.0 requirements in wiki:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.0+Feature+Planning.
> And I remember there was a common interesting at that time that we
> should
> do an immediate release for critical defect fixes (which is 3.4.1 that we
> are doing now), and then a mid-term release which majorly target to
> fidelity improvements (3.5), and a long term release with Symphony values
> on UX and social integrations (4.0)...
>
>    I'm not sure how to do a release proposal. Is that we should create a
> project wiki and discuss the release goals, contents, outlook GA date? And
> if we agree on this release, we move on. If we do not agree, we abandon it?
>
>    I'm asking because I want to propose that:
>
> (1) We should begin to check if any critical defects in our backlog that
> require us for a 3.4.2.
>
> (2) We should begin to discuss a bigger release like 3.5 on the release
> goals, and proposed contents, and the release number...
>
>    Just my 2 cents... Any suggestion/comments?
>
>    Thanks!
>
> - Simon

Simon;

This sounds to me like a very good idea. Getting to a reasonably
predictable release schedule will only enhance the fact to the
marketplace that AOO is a vital project dedicated to the reputation of
quality that OpenOffice.org worked so hard to achieve. The best way to
achieve that I believe, is to have robust planning discussions involving
all areas of the project.

Regards
Keith