incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From dmckay@btconnect.com <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion - file format
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 20:28:56 GMT
The spread and promotion of the ODF file formats is too important to not have it as the default
format.

Dave.

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Shmuel Wolfson" <shmuelw1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jul 10, 2012 12:43
Subject: Suggestion - file format
To: <ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org>

I have a suggestion for OpenOffice that I think will help it become more popular.

Most users are not very computer savvy. They are afraid of incompatibility so they stick to
Word which most people have. Therefore I think the default option when installing OpenOffic
should be to save files in MS Office formats.

You could have a dialog box asking the user to select whether they want the default file format
to be:

o Files compatible with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) - recommended for
users who want compatibility with Microsoft Office

o Files compatible with the open standard - recommended for advanced users

The default should be compatible with Microsoft Office so when the average user just clicks
Next, that's what they will get. I know that there is an option to change the default format,
but the average user doesn't know that and isn't interested in having to do that step.

--
Regards,
Shmuel