incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UX] Review of MS Office 2013 UI
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:10:23 GMT
What elements of the MS Office UI could be emulated? Which elements should be avoided? Where
are there opportunities to improve?

Thoughts?

On Jul 21, 2012, at 5:22 AM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

> People who are curious about the Office 2013/365 UI can check out the SkyDrive Web Apps
preview that is now online,
>  <http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-updated-office-web-apps-whats-new-7000001314/>
>  <https://skydrive.live.com/?officebeta=1>
>
> You'll need a Windows Live ID if you don't have one already.  It should work from most
browsers, including Chrome and FireFox, as well as IE.  I just confirmed that it works with
IE8 on Windows XP, not just IE9 on Windows 7.  I also got the same results in Chrome on Zorin
Core (a Ubuntu derivative) x64 in Oracle VirtualBox.  I didn't manage it on my WindowsPhone
7 though.

>  I stumbled on this yesterday and I noticed three things in looking closer today:
>
> 1. The UI is much like that in the desktop versions of the Office Preview (and it is
easy to collapse the Ribbon for those who don't like it, especially when just viewing).

> 2. In addition to SkyDrive storing ODT, ODP, and ODS format documents, there is now support
for viewing them and editing them in the WebApps.  For the ODS that I uploaded and tested,
it makes a copy for editing so that any differences in ODF support don't corrupt the uploaded
version.  There is also a compatibility warning if the file copy is edited.  (There are such
warnings for Office features that aren't handled in the WebApps at this time.)  It is thrilling
to see the formulas be preserved and working, all in the Excel UI.

> 3. The SkyDrive and Office WebApps available in browsers are very handy for confirmation
of document interchange problems.  This is another way to convert documents between formats
and also confirm what documents look like in the Office applications, so long as WebApp features
are sufficient.

> - Dennis

for upgrade.  I will try it on my aging Toshiba Tablet PC as soon as I can.  I figure if there
are problems, it is likely over drivers that Toshiba didn't make available beyond Vista.

> I'm still startled by how well Office Preview handles and produces ODF documents.  I
haven't run anything very demanding though.