incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: development question of future feature
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 22:07:11 GMT
KG01 - Hey all, I'm back from the unconnected world.

Great topic. See comments inline.

On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:22 PM, Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@apache.org> wrote:

> Just for the property sidebar. Kevin have done some analysis about how
> it can be integrated into AOO.

KG01 - Indeed, Symphony sidebar has some great behavior that we should adopt. My assessment
identifies specific aspects of the Symphony UX to adopt, and identifies opportunities for
AOO improvement as well. Ideally, we can provide a hybrib that reprenents the best of both
tools. Next step is to move the line items into Bugzilla.

I would also note that there ate many aspects of Symphony UX that would be great to adopt.
See. AOO UX wiki for more details.

> The problem is the migration of it from Symphony won't be
> straightforward and no one is actually working on it as far as I know.

KG01 - hmmmm....

> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Guy Waterval <waterval.guy@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Yong Lin Ma,
>>

>> 2012/7/16 Yong Lin Ma <mayongl@apache.org>
>>
>>> You may share ideas with Kevin who is working on UI changes backlogs.
>>>
>>> Or propose ideas by yourself here

KG01 - visit the AOO UX wiki for more information on how we can move forward on our next generation
UI.

>> What I find a great feature in LS is the "Context sensitive toolbar" which
>> allows to reduce the number of available toolbars in the Vue menu.

KG01 - Context sensitive toolbars are a great way to manage complexity and to progressively
disclose tool actions. The Symphony task pane is a great start. We could explore other approaches
to reduce the number of commands presented in the toolbars and make the available sections
more contextual.

>> But OK,
>> I'm a Symphony user. Perhaps this feature would be found unpleasant for
>> most OpenOffice users.
>> Meanwhile, the impossibility to deplace this toolbar in the work area is
>> perhaps discutable.
>>
>> A+
>> --
>> gw

KG01 - Re: next generation AOO UI. I will start a discussion thread on the AOO wiki to advance
this exploration. See wiki for details.